A bathroom renovation adds beauty, function, and value to your home. There are a variety of considerations as you plan your bathroom renovation, so you get the perfect design, function, and amenities for your lifestyle.
Know your options, and compile the perfect blend of color, hardware, fixtures, flooring, and countertop selections for a bathroom that delivers—daily.
Read on to discover which elements you desire most in your bathroom remodel.
Plan Your Bathroom Renovation
1. Determine your design
- Contemporary bathrooms deliver a clean and simple style, with minimalism and bright colors as a common theme. With sleek cabinets and stone, granite, quartz, or marble counters, this style delivers beauty and function that satisfies! Note: quartz is quickly rising in popularity because it is more durable, doesn’t absorb moisture like marble, and is easier to clean than marble.
Contemporary bathrooms give the illusion of sizableness without requiring much room. You can add an accent wall or accent tile to zest up the design—even in a contemporary-style bathroom.
- Rustic bathrooms use natural textures in their flooring and finishes. They avoid having everything match perfectly and tend toward darker hues like brown or black. They include elements like bamboo flooring, natural stone countertops, and wooden cabinets.
- Classic bathrooms can have a timeless black-and-white theme or use black as an accent color which goes well with dark floors and cabinetry.
- Popular finishes such as copper, bronze, or other metallic looks are seen in bathroom tile, countertops, light fixtures, and wallpaper.
- Bright colors are coming back. Aqua hues are increasingly popular as people spend more time at home, and refreshing aqua is associated with relaxation and tranquility.
2. Improve lighting
Complement your design with the perfect lighting in your bathroom remodel.
- Begin by incorporating as much natural light as possible to brighten the space and make it seem larger.
- Add a skylight if windows aren’t an option based on the bathroom’s location.
- Recessed lighting overhead will add function and brighten the space.
- Include a dimmer switch to adjust the mood of your bathroom.
3. Gain storage space
It’s amazing how many things you need to tuck away and store in your bathroom—particularly if it’s the master bath or another bathroom used daily by your children. Towels, washcloths, toilet paper, toiletries, and medicine must be stored properly.
A bathroom remodel gives you the perfect opportunity to boost your storage space to enjoy an uncluttered atmosphere and a restful environment.
4. Add a shower
Every full bath should have a shower, and there are several considerations when it comes to adding one:
- Tile – Boost your bathroom’s design features by adding visual interest with your tile choice for your shower.
- Type – Does the space and your design preference require a walk-in shower, shower/tub combination, or open shower? When choosing a shower type for the master suite, steam showers are popular.
- Threshold – The choice is yours, from shower curtains and glass doors to open showers.
5. Include a bathtub
Every home should have a bathtub, as it’s vital when your children are young. And if you’re renovating your master bath, including a soaking tub will add health benefits and allow you to be pampered as often as you wish!
6. Add style with detail
The hardware you select for your cabinets, hooks, toilet paper holder, and towel racks can add style to your renovated bathroom.
7. Upgrade plumbing
It may not be as glamorous as some upgrades you decide on for your bathroom remodel, but renovating your plumbing can be beneficial. Most residential plumbing uses 1.5” pipes for drains, but you can upgrade to a 2” drain — minimizing the possibility of gunk-creating clogs. New plumbing will be less likely to leak over time and will ensure your bathroom works properly for years.
8. Add smart features
- Smart toilet – For homeowners who want smart technology in their homes, a smart toilet is at the top of the list. These sleek, compact toilets include luxuries like a seat warmer, a touch-free automatic lid, a nightlight, and speakers.
- Smart faucets – With a temperature gauge and efficiency sensors that help you control water use in your bathroom, these faucets deliver. Their hands-free feature keeps germs from being passed from person to person, so these are particularly important in guest baths. Pair them with an automatic soap dispenser, and you’re all set to be more hygienic.
- Radiant flooring – Cover your entire master bathroom with this luxury feature and relish the warmth each time you step out of the shower.
- Smart mirrors – An interactive LED mirror with a built-in display will give you the time, and update you on the morning traffic, the weather, the news, and today’s appointments.
- Smart shower – Set the ideal flow rate, temperature, and shower duration through your smart device, conserving energy use and water daily.
9. Boost ventilation
Bathrooms are ideal breeding grounds for mold and mildew because of the moisture they experience daily. Proper ventilation is vital to a functional bathroom and will ensure you won’t be exposed to the health risks mold can create. Add a small window, or install an exhaust fan through an exterior wall or ceiling.
Transform Your Bathroom into a Relaxing Retreat
You deserve to enjoy all the luxuries of a spa in your remodeled bathroom.
Our experienced team at VL Builders can evaluate your bathroom and offer customized options for you to consider. We take the time to educate you on your project’s options, its timeline, and the expected return on investment (ROI). We’ll ensure you understand the entire process, giving you the knowledge you need to move forward with your Lakewood area home renovation with confidence.
Learn more about our bathroom remodeling services.